When removing a tooth is the best option, Potomac Family Dental provides professional and experienced extraction services designed to keep you comfortable and worry-free throughout the procedure.
Saving a tooth is almost always desirable over extracting a tooth. However, there are certain cases where a tooth extraction is the best or only option for your unique smile. Dr. Khattab and Dr. Uthman at Potomac Family Dental provide wisdom tooth extraction and other tooth extraction services for our patients in Woodbridge VA.
When Tooth Extractions Are Necessary
Not every tooth that’s damaged, infected, or impacted will need to be removed. It’s important to have your affected tooth or teeth assessed by a professional dentist.
In certain cases, a tooth can be saved and restored with a filling, a root canal, or a dental crown. In other cases, Dr. Khattab or Dr. Uthman may recommend an extraction to keep your smile healthy and to remove a tooth that will cause problems later on.
Some instances where tooth extractions are necessary may include:
- A tooth with extensive decay. Teeth that are badly decayed can sometimes be fixed with root canal therapy, but for those that can’t, an extraction may be needed.
- A badly broken or damaged tooth. These are teeth that can’t be repaired with a dental crown or dental bonding, and it makes the most sense to extract the affected tooth.
- A baby tooth that won’t fall out on its own. Most baby teeth come out on their own, but in cases where a baby tooth won’t budge even after the permanent teeth begin erupting, it may need to be pulled.
- Extra teeth in a crowded smile. Some patients will need extra teeth pulled before they can receive the orthodontic treatment they need for a straighter smile.
- Impacted wisdom teeth. When wisdom teeth don’t have enough room to erupt in the jaw, they can push against neighboring teeth and cause pain and swelling. Impacted wisdom teeth almost always need to be removed.
At Potomac Family Dental, we understand that a tooth extraction procedure can induce worry and anxiety for adults and children alike. We help make the procedure as simple and painless as possible at our practice!
What to Expect When Getting a Tooth Extraction
When getting a tooth extraction with us, we want you to be as comfortable as possible. Local anesthesia is typically used to numb the specific area where we’ll be removing the tooth. If you prefer a stronger level of sedation, let us know and we can discuss before your extraction procedure.
Once your mouth is numbed, we proceed with removing your tooth. You’ll experience some discomfort and swelling following the procedure with potentially a bit of bleeding, but your mouth should heal within a few days. We’ll provide you with detailed instructions for caring for your mouth at home following the extraction.
However, if you have pain, extreme swelling, or excessive bleeding, contact our practice or come in to see us as soon as possible. If you have any questions at all about what’s normal or not normal when it comes to your healing, never hesitate to reach out to us!
Do You Need a Tooth Extraction?
The best way to tell if you need a tooth extraction is with an exam and x-rays from your dentist in Woodbridge VA. Contact Potomac Family Dental to find out if your tooth can be saved or if you may need an extraction. Call us at (703) 348-8070 to schedule an appointment!